Cutting-edge technical skills are important in the IT industry but a modernized resume is just as important. Employers won’t believe that you stay up to date on the latest technologies and IT trends if your resume looks stale or old-fashioned. Do these 5 things to modernize your tech resume!
1. First Person Preferred: A lot of old fashioned resumes use the third person and while this is still standard in more formal industries like banking or law it’s not as commonly used in the fast-paced IT world. If you’re applying to an IT job in an industry where formality isn’t as important first person will be preferred!
2. Focus on the New, Let Go of the Past: Save your details for your largest, most recent accomplishments and keep your older experiences short and sweet. Letting go of the past and focusing on the technologies you’ve used more recently is incredibly important in this industry where an overly long resume can be looked over and a resume that focuses too much on the past may make employers question whether or not you’re staying up to date with the latest technologies.
3. Side Project Section: Side projects are all the rage for tech professionals these days and employers are eager to see what you’re working on in your free time. If you have any side projects—past or present—make sure you include them on your tech resume!
4. Specificity is Human: Your resume is supposed to show your humanity so if you are vague about your accomplishments, how you achieved your goals, how you learned the skills needed to gain a promotion, or other important details like that your resume may look generic and it may be difficult for an employer to picture you as an actual human being. Use your resume to tell your professional story in a concise, effective way.
5. Technology Bank: Create a technology bank at the top of your resume that focuses on the skills you have the most experience with and the cutting-edge technologies that are in demand. Putting these right at the top of your resume will help employers understand that you know what you’re doing and you have the appropriate skills for the job you’re applying for.
As an IT professional you’re always modernizing your technical skills but you may not always think of how important it is to modernize your resume. If you want the best tech resume possible, do these 5 things to modernize your resume today!