Confidence can lead to a more successful career and a happier life overall, but it doesn’t always come easily. If you’re looking to boost your confidence so you’re more likely to be productive, promoted, and well liked by your coworkers and professional network connections do these 6 things.
1. Get Into the Growth Mindset: Challenges and setbacks can shake you confidence but they’re less likely to do so if you have a growth mindset. A growth mindset is when you believe that your abilities and skills can grow and get better with extra, diligent practice. This mindset will give you the confidence you need to continue to improve and develop your work related skills, which is essential if you want to have a successful career.
2. Explain Something You Understand Well: The best way to learn is to teach but, if you’re looking for a confidence boost, take the time to train someone. When you explain something you understand well, you realize how much you already know and you’ll feel more confident about your abilities and your value at your current employer.
3. Improve Appearances: Although it may seem superficial at first, a stylish, well-fitted wardrobe and a few power poses can really help improve your confidence. So can working out and staying in shape. If you want to boost your confidence professionally, particularly when it comes to networking with others, you may want to consider improving your appearance so you seem like a more confident, put together person without ever having to say a word.
4. Visualize Your Success: When in doubt of your abilities or your chances at success, try visualizing it. Picture yourself delivering a cleanly written, bug free application before its due date. Picture yourself getting the promotion you’ve been wanting. Picture yourself finally mastering that skill you’ve been trying to develop for a long time. If there’s an aspect of your career that’s shaking your confidence or your belief in your ability to succeed, this visualization can stop that doubt in its tracks.
5. Fix things You Don’t Like About Yourself: When the problem isn’t your attitude, your emotions, or your appearance it may be time to make personal changes. Your habits drive how successful you are and, with a few too many negative habits tipping the scale and a few less positive habits than you might like, it may be time to correct those patterns and build yourself up into the kind of person you want to be, which will give you the confidence you’ve been missing.
6. Accept the Inevitability of Mistakes: No matter how well you plan or how skilled you are, there will always be moments when you trip and fall or when someone finds an error in your work. As long as you accept the inevitability of mistakes, you’ll be willing to get up, try again, and eventually produce better results. The confidence that comes from the knowledge that you can bounce back from anything is priceless, especially at work.
If you want to have a successful career, you’ll need to be a confident person. Boost your workplace confidence with these 6 steps and you’ll feel more capable than ever to snag your dream job, build your professional network, and so much more!